Pipette Troubleshooting and Analysis
Although the pipette is small in size, as one of the routine instruments in the laboratory, it plays a pivotal role in the accuracy and precision of our experimental results. But do you know how to troubleshoot pipette-related failures? Here are a few points about pipette troubleshooting for reference:
Pipette troubleshooting and Analysis:
1. Capacity out of tolerance
- The position of the capacity regulator is incorrect. Use the special handle to adjust the volume adjustment hole at the tail of the pipette, and repeat it several times until it is qualified. In order to improve work efficiency and avoid blind adjustment, here are several common pipette adjustment methods: clearly know whether is adjust counterclockwise to increase, clockwise to decrease; or adjust counterclockwise to decrease, Adjust clockwise to increase.
- The capacity counter is dislocated. The single channel pipette has a calibration hole next to the indicator window. Insert the special tool into the adjustment hole, hold the volume knob with your index finger and thumb, and turn the digital knob of the counter until the indicated value is accurate.
- Internal corrosion is caused by frequent use or improper operation, and the indication value is out of tolerance. The pipette needs to be disassembled, and parts such as the cavity and the tip need to be cleaned with alcohol cotton or 60% isopropyl alcohol, and then coated with silicone oil.
- The deviation of the indication value is caused by the deformation or corrosion of the spring. Clean or replace the spring.
2. The tightness is too poor
- Check that the tips are matched and installed in place to eliminate air leaks caused by the tips.
- Check for scratches on the port portion where the white sleeve contacts the tip.
- Check whether the connecting nut between the white sleeve and the handle is loose. In addition, check whether the gap between the piston and the sealing ring is too large or whether the sealing ring is aging. Apply an appropriate amount of silicone oil on the piston, if there is still air leakage, replace the sealing ring of the same type.
3. The digital display is misplaced or stuck
When the user adjusts the volume, the knob is turned too fast or the range is too large, resulting in a freeze. After disassembling the pipette and resetting the tip, recalibrate until the capacity is verified before use.
Several common liquid extraction failures- Automatic pipette troubleshooting and Analysis:
- There is residual liquid in the pipette nozzle: this happens because the pipette tips do not fit and the original pipette tips should be replaced immediately.
- The pipette is blocked and the suction volume is too small: this is because liquid seeps into the pipette and the piston and tip connections should be clean and lubricated.
- Overrun: this happens because the pipette is damaged and should be taken to a service point for repair.
- The ejector of the pipette nozzle is stuck or not working properly: this occurs due to contamination of the tip attachment and the syringe barrel should be removed and washed with 75% ethanol.
The pipette leaks or the pipetting volume is too small:
- Insufficient lubrication of piston and O-ring.
- The pipette is contaminated.
- There is a foreign body between the pipette nozzle and the connector.
- The pipette nozzle is not suitable.
- Improper installation of the pipette nozzle.
- The plastic wetting of the pipette tip is uneven.